How to Make a Good Bone Broth
So before we think about how to make a good bone broth, let’s have a look at why would you go to the trouble. Well, like making the effort to make any food from scratch the basic reason is because it’s good for us! Bone broth is incredibly beneficial because it contains the amino acid glutamine and glutamine is the fuel our guts use to repair itself. If we have any kind of gut damage or digestive issues then this amino acid can help our bodies help themselves.
So how do we make it?
- Take bones of an organic chicken or organic beef bones and put them in a slow cooker. It doesn’t have to be organic but if possible it’s better for you!
- Cover them with water and turn the slow cooker onto low
- Add 3 tablespoons of cider vinegar – it helps mineral release from the bones
- Add 1 chopped carrot
- Add 1 piece of chopped celery
- Leave on overnight and by morning you’ll have a great bone broth
- Sieve out the bones and the vegetables
- Use it to make a soup or, if you’re brave enough, have it as a drink!
- Store it in the fridge once it’s cooled if you’re not using it straight away